Skip to content
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- 3 medium sweet apples, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Grease or spray loaf pan. Shred apples in food processor.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, spices, & baking soda.
- Cream shortening, eggs, & sugar together; to incorporate air into it and make the loaf fluffier.
- Add in the apples to the sugar mixture.
- Add a small amount of the flour mixture to the sugar & shortening, adding more as its mixed in til all is incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan, scraping down bowl. Sprinkle top of batter liberally with apple pie spice.
- Bake in 350* oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. If using cupcake liners, bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center. Makes 14 muffins.