Crafting · Music

New Ukulele (from a DIY kit)

I know, do I need a new ukulele when technically I can’t play the one I have yet? Probably not, but when I saw this DIY kit I had to order it. Its not full on build it yourself- the uke body is already together and really you just pin/glue/screw a few pieces in place and bob’s yer uncle. It took about 30 minutes to assemble and another ten minutes to string and tune, once I realized I had done some of the assembly wrong.

Anyway, I started out with a nice plain paint job and it quickly turned into this.

This is the hardware I used that after going to Michael’s, Lowe’s, and Walmart, I finally found at Home Depot of all places. Its a rubber coated hook that I found in the hardware section- aisle 36 I think it was. I might swap out the brackets I made for my other stand for these as well. Their only a buck a piece.

After I took those photos, I added the word “HELP” to the lower corner on the front. I also built another stand, using mostly stuff I had on hand for a cost of about $4. I painted it bright green, the same color as some of the paint splatters on  the uke, and did a few splatters on it as well.

Now the ukulele itself, it’s loud, but honestly it doesn’t sound as nice as my tenor does. There’s a big difference in price though between them, and quality. But it was still a super fun little project and I’d say worth the $40!

 

 

Leave a Reply