You guys! I love meat. But I decided to save a few dollars and try out a vegetarian chili. It was super easy and aside from having to open a lot of cans, really quick to toss in the pot.
You need :
- 1 16oz can each of black beans, Pinto beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and corn
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 packets chili seasoning if your choice or make your own blend
- 2 generous teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic (or more – is there such a thing as too much garlic?)
- Dice or run the peppers and onion through your foods processor.
- Dump everything into a large pot and stir to combine.
- Let simmer until heated thru and flavors have begun to combine.
- Spoon into bowls or over Fritos and top with cheddar cheese if desired.
And holy crap! This chili is good and so filling!
I’m still finding tons of stuff to clean up around the house. I’m finally almost done throwing away my old dresser that fell apart once piece at a time each week into the trash barrel – there’s just one side and the paperboard back left – and then I can start breaking down the tons of cardboard boxes I keep unearthing and throwing them away. I wish I could just throw them all out at once, but we only get one trash barrel so it’s not possible.
I keep finding technology-related stuff too. External DVD drives, multiple hard drives too small to be of much use in the current world (I’ve found like 6 of them), a hard drive enclosure that needs a power cord… And there’s a printer new in box that I think mom bought when she had Windows 8 that was incompatible with the computer then. I need to find cables for the hard drive enclosure and see if it and the drive currently inside it works, and if not, drop it off at the elections recycling place. The same goes for the external DVD drives – I will likely test those on my mom’s computer tonight.
Today my mom brought up if I wanted half ownership of the house and property when she dies. I said yes. I don’t want to stay here unless I built a place in the back, and honestly I would still rather sell my half and find a spot of land somewhere a bit closer to town… But either way, hopefully that’s not for a long time. A really, really long time.
For Thanksgiving, I did the shopping today, and picked up a 14-pound turkey for $9. I also bought stuff to make a blackberry cheesecake Wednesday night, and I’ll make the rolls from scratch the day of. Mom still wants to get a ham, but its just going to be me and her, and we don’t need all the food… Lol. Or maybe we do. I dunno.
- 3 cups self-rising flour -or-
1 ¼th teaspoons baking power & 1/8th teaspoon salt to each cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4th cup sugar
- 12 oz. beer
- Preheat oven to 350*. Mix all ingredients until well combined. Pour into greased pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Makes 8 servings of 1 slice each. Each slice has 200 calories, 0.5 grams of fat, 0 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 40 grams of carbs.
- 3 cups self-rising flour -or-
From Mom’s kitchen
- 2 boxes Kraft mac n cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 6 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- Milk (as needed)
- Boil pasta and cook according to directions. Brown ground beef in skillet, breaking it up into small pieces. Drain fat, and set aside.
- Stir together pasta, ground beef, frozen corn, cheese mix packets, and a small amount of milk over low heat until everything is warmed through.
From Nosh My Way
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed, and drained
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, spinach, Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and 1/8 cup of the breadcrumbs. Use your hands to mix it all together
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a bowl. Shape meatballs using a cookie scoop or your hands, and roll each one in breadcrumbs. Place on a slightly coated cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and nicely browned on the outside.
This morning I was up super early (it was still dark out- blergh!) and had to take FIL to two Dr’s appointments. That was easy enough though I really wanted to stay home and snuggle with Sashi, and then he asked that we drive over to Palmdale for Tommy’s… Home of the Cat Food Pate’ Chili everything. I ordered my burger “no chili,” thanks. He gave me a few bucks for gas and I dropped him off and went home.
Dinner tonight was a big pot of chili. My second time making edible chili, and I made a few changes to the recipe. I added a shredded bell pepper and a bunch of Tapatio. It was better, but I think next time I will add some fresh chopped tomatoes, more cumin, and maybe some different kinds of beans to mix it up a bit more. It was good though, better than last time, and we’ll be eating the leftovers tomorrow over Fritos.
I was supposed to have a violin lesson today too but she cancelled last minute and rescheduled for Friday. My bass lesson is Friday too, so apparently it will be a day for music. Last night I went to uke club and took my concert uke, which I played some but mostly I just sang. It was just what I wanted to do. 🙂
Very little knitting got done today.
Well, if you’re here, you’ve probably followed me over from my WordPress.com hosted site and now you’re here. And as of about fifteen minutes ago, I have a shiny new top level domain name for this blog. Its not a fancy one, but for $0.99 I’m pretty happy with it. Seriously, no reason to spend $15 a year to indulge my ego, ya know?
Tonight the super nice lady I met in Winco came by to pick up her pussy hat, and asked if we might try to be friends. She introduced me to her husband and said most of the people they’ve met here were religious types and that wasn’t working for them. I’m not sure if it was the pussy hat or the stuff amigurumi penises on my shop website that clued her in that I’m definitely not into the big G or super conservative. But either way, maybe we will click and we will all win with new friends. 🙂 I’m hopeful.
I’ve been trying to add new things to my shop but its kind of hit or miss. Mostly its just new items I’ve just made going up, and not the scads of things I made before and never put up. Maybe I will get a handful of them photographed and listed tomorrow.
I still have no idea what’s going on with my disability appeal. And of course the website doesn’t offer me any help in finding out either. Waiting… it sucks.
My Instant Pot is still awesome and makes all the things. I did a beef roast tonight with gravy and a green salad, and tomorrow I’m sure I will use it again- I’ve used it almost every night since it arrived! Love it!
Lucy is continuing her downhill trudge and has been crapping in the house, mostly on the couch, and almost every day. I know she’s old and doesn’t have control any more but ugh. I’m tired of picking up poop all the time. Sashi on the other hand… she’s her normal, boisterous, and outgoingly happy self.